Photos of 2013’s Food & Drink Award winners were inspired by our favorite memes. See them all: http://tmout.us/jFtpw
11. Because in the summer, you can see tons of world-class music and performance art without spending a dime
12. Because of bodega cats
13. Because it’s impossible to feel nerdy here
50 reasons why NYC is the greatest city in the world: http://tmout.us/ispjx
What is your reason?
7. Because we invented hip-hop and still do it better than any other city
8. Because our LGBT scene is actually an LGBT scene
9. Because bands blow up after playing here
50 reasons why NYC is the greatest city in the world: http://tmout.us/isoXD
Tell us yours.
“Sure, some will argue that this town lost its edge long ago, but if the hand job I got in the back of the Port Authority Jamba Juice last October is any indication, I beg to differ.” - comedian Dave Hill on why NYC is the greatest city in the world.
Why is NYC the greatest city in the world?
“Where to begin? See Shakespeare in the Park; see Jeter in the Bronx. Take in a matinee at 2pm; take out pizza at 4am. Found a new start-up; find an old mom-and-pop shop. Cheer the Knicks at MSG; cheer the Nets at Barclays. Catch Puccini at the Met; catch Da Vinci at the Met; catch Santana at the Mets. Eat Grimaldi’s after Brooklyn Bridge Park; eat Nathan’s after the Cyclone (definitely not before). Watch the US Open in the summer; watch the Super Bowl in the winter (next year!). Get a free ferry to Staten Island; get free advice in 200 different languages (I hear a lot of it). We are the most diverse and dynamic city on the planet—with record-safe streets and 440 bike-lane miles; 852 museums and galleries; 24,000 (smoke-free) restaurants; 29,000 parkland acres; a record 3.9 million jobs; 8.4 million residents; and 1 grateful mayor.”—Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg
4. Because the Manhattan cocktail was invented here, and we’d like to see someone try to make it better than we do
5. Because New Yorkers live longer than almost anyone else
6. Because, believe it or not, you can still find a rent-stabilized apartment in NYC
50 reasons why NYC is the greatest city in the world
What is your reason?
1. Because we have the most iconic skyline
2. Because of Manhattan’s grid
3. Because our bars are open until 4am
50 reasons NYC is the greatest city in the world: http://tmout.us/ipw9s
Okay, brainstorm time! How can we make Midtown East suck less?
What the Municipal Art Society is dreaming of: http://tmout.us/i9tNe
Hi, Tumblr pals. Back in the day, we used to run a column called “What’s up with that?,” which was dedicated to answering reader questions about Gotham. We’re reviving the column for an upcoming issue, but we need your help: Are you curious about something around town? Have you seen anything in your neighborhood that you must get the backstory of? Let us know: E-mail email@example.com, and your question might just get answered. Want to see what mysteries we’ve unraveled so far? Take a look at this slide show.
We spoke with the publishers of a forthcoming book, Enjoy The Experience: Homemade Records 1958–1992, which celebrates strange but lovable small-run vinyl, like the one above.